Congratulations to the community for the latest release of elementary OS 7! This is the 7th edition of the OS, released January 2023 and is based on Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish. This traditional welcome article want to help you to download it via direct or torrent method as well as verify the checksum. You can download it using any computer device you have regardless it is powered by Ubuntu, Windows, MacOS, or Android. You may also consider to support back elementary OS Project by donating explained at the end. Finally, happy downloading!
Subscribe to UbuntuBuzz Telegram Channel to get article updates.
About elementary OS
elementary OS is a computer operating system originated from United States that is fast, beautiful and secure that can run on your desktop and laptop as an alternative to Apple macOS and Microsoft Windows. It is a free libre open source software (FOSS) operating system developed based on long-term support versions of Ubuntu GNU/Linux and comes with its own technologies such as Pantheon user interface, AppCenter, and elementary Apps. Finally, there are branded elementary OS laptops available from several manufacturers namely Laptop With Linux, Slimbook and Star Labs.
1. Web browser
2. BitTorrent client (for torrent method)
*) we recommend Transmission BitTorrent Client for Windows and MacOS and LibreTorrent for Android user.
Download using Normal Method
Start with this if you do not know how to start.
1. Go to https://elementary.io.
2. Scroll down to “Pay what you can:” section.
3. Type “0” into Custom box.
4. The button switched from “Purchase” into “Download elementary OS“.
5. Click the button > a dialog will show > click Download.
6. You are downloading elementary OS 7.
7. Once finished, you will have a file named elementaryos-7.0-stable.20230129rc.iso by size 2.5GB. Now proceed to Verify section below.
Download using BitTorrent Method
1. Visit elementary OS website.
2. Do like in the Normal method, but click “U” button instead. It is called “Magnet Link” also known as BitTorrent download method.
3. Browser will ask you to open the link with a specific program > select Open Link.
- On Kubuntu, this will automatically open KTorrent.
- On Windows and MacOS, you may need to select Transmission.
- On Android, you may need to select LibreTorrent.
4. BitTorrent program will ask you location to save the file > select a directory as you wish > OK > download starting.
5. Once finished, a BitTorrent program will show status “100%” or “seeding” and the file name is elementaryos-7.0-stable.20230129rc.iso by size 2.5GB.
(An example of KTorrent downloading OS 7 by 2.5GB size and 4MB/s speed)
Verify Downloaded File
1. Finish the download using one of two methods above.
2. Run the command line below towards the ISO file:
3. The result of the command will be a very long line of numbers and letters.
4. Copy that resulting text line.
5. Paste into elementary OS official checksum webpage using Find (Ctrl+F):
If it is OK, both identities should match and give green color.